Friday, July 13, 2007

Chicken and Dumplings

2 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 onion, sliced or chopped, according to preference
1-2 carrots, sliced
1-2 ribs of celery, sliced
1/2 c. frozen peas
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. butter
water &/or chicken broth to cover
salt and pepper to taste
Cajun seasoning (optional)

Dumplings:
2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
3 T. margarine or butter
1 c. milk

Heat butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and garlic and saute until soft. Add chicken pieces and saute until lightly browned. Add enough water to cover the mixture and about 2 inches more. The amount of liquid you use will determine how many servings you can get out of this dish. Season with salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning (such as Tony Chacere's). If you add more liquid, be sure you season it sufficiently. Add peas. Bring to a boil, cover, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the chicken is done cooking and the liquid has become slightly opaque.While the soup cooks, mix the ingredients for the dumplings in a separate bowl. Combine flour and baking powder. Cut in the butter thoroughly, add milk and stir. When the liquid is ready, add the dumpling mixture by heaping tablespoons on to the top of the soup. Uncover and cook 10 more minutes.Serve a couple of ladlefuls of soup and 3-4 dumplings per person. I made this the other day and Alex LOVED it. Proof kids can love this kind of stuff!!!

2 comments:

Layton Sisters said...

I think I am going to make this for dinner tonight! It sounds so fabulous! Thanks Jen! I'll let you know how it turns out! :) Beth

Anonymous said...

So, I hadn't ever made this yet, so at lunch today I went home and put all the ingredients (minus the dumplings and peas) into my crock pot! I hope it turns out!!! When I get home I will make the dumplings and then put them in for a while to get those all cooked and yummified. Oh I am so excited!